29 species of dragonfly have been recorded in Scotland, 23 of which are resident breeding species, and 3 of these only breed in Scotland: Northern Damselfly, Azure Hawker and the Northern Emerald.
Title image: Northern Emerald by Iain Leach
Species in Scotland
This country, consisting of the vice-counties of Dumfriesshire (VC72) to Shetland Islands (VC112), currently has 4 damselfly and 8 dragonfly species nationally or locally important. These are:
Get involved in recording dragonflies in Scotland by contacting the county dragonfly recorder for Scotland, Pat Batty. Contact details can be found on the County Dragonfly Recorders page.
Latest Sightings in Scotland
- First Large Red
- A Large Red Damselfly seen in my garden in Dunfermline.
- First Large Red Damselfly in Comrie, Perthshire
- Large Red seen on window sill of the house near the garden pond
- Lots of Blue-tailed Damselflies on the wing in Stirling Business Park!
- Over a dozen Blue-tailed Damselflies of both sexes seen at the pond by the Castle View Business Park in Stirling. It's always a great place to see this species.