We are working to increase public understanding and awareness of dragonflies, their conservation and the challenges they face, in order to increase action for dragonflies across Britain.
This site covers all dragonfly-related topics, from their origins 300 million years ago to their species distributions across Britain today. Whether you’re a professional researcher, a BDS member, curious about the natural world – or all three – we hope you’ll find it a useful and interesting resource.
Join the British Dragonfly Society today for member benefits and to support our work.
- Libellula depressa
- Female broad-bodied chaser dragonfly found in the garden. Rural area of farmland and fields in Lea, nr Ross-On-Wye, Herefordshire.
- Demoiselles Piddlehinton
- I have a small section of River Piddle in my garden in Piddlehinton. I had at least 4 female, and one male banded demoiselles (as well as a golden-ringed dragonfly...
- Hampshire and Isle of Wight
- Red-veined darter
- A short visit to Hatchet Pond on windy, cloudy Monday revealed a Red-veined Darter at the water side. It wouldn't let me get very close, but a zoom enabled me...
- Small Red-eyed Damselflies
- The first few Small Red-eyed Damselflies are in flight today at Lound Lakes SWT reserve near Lowestoft, Suffolk
- Majestic Golden Ringed Dragonfly
- In a flower trough adjacent to a stream ready for take off.......
- broad bodied chaser
- Broad Bodied Chaser with blue body. It has visited my garden pond on three consecutive days starting 19th June (to my knowledge). I also record this sort of thing on...
- Emegence of Aeshna affinis ( Southern Migrant Hawker) Canvey, Essex
- Found 11 fresh teneral SMH making their first flights from the ditch this morning. Also mass emergence taking place of Ruddy Darters 150+. Still large numbers of Scarce Emerald Damselflies...
- Lesser Emperor
- 2 Lesser Emperors (both females) seen at Winterton, Norfolk today. Also 2 Red-veined Darters, my first Emerald Damselfly of the year, many Emperors, a Broad-bodied Chaser and several teneral Common...
- Cornwall with Scilly
- Very large striking Golden Ringed dragonfly lands on foliage in garden
- Beautiful Golden Ringed dragon fly seen in our garden near Falmouth in Cornwall. It flew very gracefully over me and landed on tree foliage. It stayed for a few minutes;...
What's Happening Near You
Stay up-to-date with dragonflies in your area.
Click a region of the map to see events, sightings and other information below.
Help support our research and conservation work by shopping with us.
Need a hand identifying a dragonfly? Find it using our nifty help page.