Species in DevonThis area, consisting of the vice-counties of North Devon (VC4) and South Devon (VC3) , currently has the following nationally or locally important damselfly dragonfly species:
Get involved in recording dragonflies in Devon by contacting the vice-county recorders, Dave Smallshire (VC3, VC4) . Contact details can be found on the County Dragonfly Recorders page.
Latest Sightings in Devon
- Vagrant emperor
- Found on its back, in mixed broadleaf woodland, held by surface tension to the surface of a wet log. I thought it was dead. I brought it home, glued it...
- Female Southern Hawker, Teign Gorge
- Female Southern Hawker resting on sunny heath high on the south-facing steep slopes of the Teign Gorge below Castle Drogo, Devon.
- Bovey Basin sites
- Lovely weather for an end of flight season check at some Bovey Basin sites. Most unusual sighting of 10 species was a male Black Darter at Little Bradley Ponds, the...
- Golden ringed dragon
- By our pond near Brixton in south hams
- Lesser Emperors at Stover
- Two separate male Lesser Emperors seen at Stover Country Park today. One was patrolling over the main lake, the other likewise over one of the (out of bounds) sedimentation ponds...
- Emperor in the garden
- Male emperor hawking over garden pond mid afternoon
- Surprise visit of Lesser Emperor in Plymouth!!!
- At The Drakes Place Reservoir in central Plymouth on 9/Aug/20. A male Lesser Emperor patrolling around the lakes late afternoon. Also there male + female Emperor, 4 Blue-Tailed Damselflies ,...
- Plenty of small red eyes in Plymouth
- An afternoon visit to Drakes Place Reservoir today, I saw many Small Red-eyed Damselflies ,inc 4 pairs in tandem egg laying. I suspect some of yesterdays 4 Blue Tailed Damsels...
- Plymstock Devon
- Large red female in garden pond