We are working to increase public understanding and awareness of dragonflies, their conservation and the challenges they face, in order to increase action for dragonflies across Britain.
This site covers all dragonfly-related topics, from their origins 300 million years ago to their species distributions across Britain today. Whether you’re a professional researcher, a BDS member, curious about the natural world – or all three – we hope you’ll find it a useful and interesting resource.
Join the British Dragonfly Society today for member benefits and to support our work.
- My Gold fish pond
- I drained my pond to clean it out for the summer and was using my hands to check for fish in the bucket I was using and caught a dragon...
- Female club tail at Apperley Gloucestershire
- A female clubtail just emerged drying wings in bank side vegetation
- Southern Hawker?
- Green/Yellow female. Central Nottingham, Ebers Road c.16.45 Possibly female Hairy Dragonfly but no water bodies nearby, suburban street.
- Broad-bodied chaser
- Darting around along stream on boundary of our garden
- Broad bodied chaser
- Alighting on plant support in rural garden
- Is it a dragonfly?
- LS225EB (Wetherby, Yorkshire) between 8.30 and 9.00 a.m. in garden. Yellow/gold abdomen, flat and wide rather than thin and elongated, estimated size 4.00-5.00 cm. Very muscular looking heavyweight, most unlike...
- Cherry Orchard CP Hawkwell Essex
- 2 Red Eyed, 2 Blue tailed, 4 Banded Demoiselles
- Scarce Chaser
- Immature female, sighted at Holmes garden centre, East Holme, Wareham, Dorset (Isle of Purbeck)
- Broad Bodied Chaser (F)
- Maybe just emerged. Clinging to a steel bar of a drain 12” above the water. Swinderby, Lincs
What's Happening Near You
Stay up-to-date with dragonflies in your area.
Click a region of the map to see events, sightings and other information below.
Latest News & Tweets
Help support our research and conservation work by shopping with us.
Need a hand identifying a dragonfly? Find it using our nifty help page.