We are working to increase public understanding and awareness of dragonflies, their conservation and the challenges they face, in order to increase action for dragonflies across Britain.
This site covers all dragonfly-related topics, from their origins 300 million years ago to their species distributions across Britain today. Whether you’re a professional researcher, a BDS member, curious about the natural world – or all three – we hope you’ll find it a useful and interesting resource.
Join the British Dragonfly Society today for member benefits and to support our work.
- Isle of Wight
- Late Summer Sunshine Helps Southern Emeralds at Yarmouth.
- This period of warm late summer weather hopefully will prolong the season for the Southern Emeralds at Yarmouth,Isle of Wight.Three male and one female seen today,the males at the small...
- Blaenau Gwent
- Common Darted Male
- Spotted on Llangattock Mountain Range South Wales Very friendly and curious
- Golden ? In my conservatory
- Found her (I think ) in my conservatory on the floor tiles this morning. Lovely green and golden rings. Used to see a lot here in Nottinghamshire village when we...
- An indecisive chap, chappess?
- Green thorax, blue eyes. From above, green markings down to the last two segments of it's abdomen, which were blue. From the side, abdomen had blue markings. It came to...
- First to the pond
- We have a new pond in the garden, and within 2 weeks of filling it the southern Hawker has made two long visits, touching down on the damp grassy bank...
- Warwickshire, Birmingham and Black Country
- At rest on my curtains
- Went to close my curtains and it was sitting there last night. Looks like female Emperor. Birmingham area.
- East Lothian
- Ruddy darter, North Berwick, East Lothian
- male ruddy darter, garden
- Southern hawker
- Southern hawker dragonflies my garden flying around pond
- Churchyard angels!
- Midday in Wells at the end of the High Street is a large church (Bishop's Palace and moat at other end) and when visiting the church graveyard we noticed at...
What's Happening Near You
Stay up-to-date with dragonflies in your area.
Click a region of the map to see events, sightings and other information below.
Latest News & Tweets
Help support our research and conservation work by shopping with us.
Need a hand identifying a dragonfly? Find it using our nifty help page.