We are working to increase public understanding and awareness of dragonflies, their conservation and the challenges they face, in order to increase action for dragonflies across Britain.
This site covers all dragonfly-related topics, from their origins 300 million years ago to their species distributions across Britain today. Whether you’re a professional researcher, a BDS member, curious about the natural world – or all three – we hope you’ll find it a useful and interesting resource.
Join the British Dragonfly Society today for member benefits and to support our work.
- Common clubtail
- A single, pristine clubtail seen along the River Severn at Mythe, near Tewkesbury. A chance sighting as it settled 6 feet from me. As temperatures climbed to low twenties, there...
- Downy Emerald
- A number of Downy Emerald Dragonflies wake ponds Epping Forest. Also Emperor and 4 spot chasers.
- 4 spotted chaser TQ13 9G
- on a stem by a small pond at back of estate. private.
- My first White-legged Damselfly of 2020
- Saw my first White-legged Damselfly today at West Christchurch. I live close to the River Stour and they have been regular in my garden over the years.
- Langdon Hills
- Hairy dragonfly, settled & showing well in EWT Lincewood.
- Scarce blue-tailed damselfly
- Somerton, Somerset, near the river Cary
- White-legged damselflies
- One male and two female white legged damselflies on nettles, grasses and other vegetation beside public footpath near the River Yeo near NW Dorset/South Somerset boundary. Male was distinct from...
- Banded Demoiselle spotting
- several Banded Demoiselle were spotted off the river wey near holybourne.
- Hairy and Downy at Windlesham
- 2 Hairy Dragonflies, 3 Downy Emeralds and 1 Emperor seen this afternoon at Windlesham Arboretum
What's Happening Near You
Stay up-to-date with dragonflies in your area.
Click a region of the map to see events, sightings and other information below.
Help support our research and conservation work by shopping with us.
Need a hand identifying a dragonfly? Find it using our nifty help page.