We are working to increase public understanding and awareness of dragonflies, their conservation and the challenges they face, in order to increase action for dragonflies across Britain.
This site covers all dragonfly-related topics, from their origins 300 million years ago to their species distributions across Britain today. Whether you’re a professional researcher, a BDS member, curious about the natural world – or all three – we hope you’ll find it a useful and interesting resource.
Join the British Dragonfly Society today for member benefits and to support our work.
- Emperor dragonfly of the North
- Early morning the female Emperor Dragonfly landed in our small yard in central Redcar with no ponds, water nearby.
- Not so scarce Scarce Chaser
- Several male Scarce chasers near Surlingham in Norfolk this morning.
- Emporer northants
- Near big foot pond Irchester Country park
- Scarce Chaser
- Scarce Chaser Dragonfly, at least I think that's what it is. Along the River Chelmer canal Langford, Essex.
- Hedgerow Hawker
- Whilst walking my dog i noticed a hawker flying along the top of a tall hedge not far from my house at Hare Park Six Mile Bottom. Luckily it landed...
- Greater London
- Male brown hawker
- Lakes near heathrow
- Town Common
- A warm Afternoon at Christchurch Town Common - saw many Brown Hawkers and Black Darters ( male and female ) on the heath. Emperors and Four spotted chasers on the...
- Blue emperor dragonfly
- Blue emperor dragonfly. Outside my window drying wings beside the plant pots on the stones (floor). Lots of fields in the area no known ponds locally just a swimming pool...
- Scarce Blue-tailed Damselflies mating
- Morden Bog National Nature Reserve, near Wareham, Dorset (SY 90981 91458). Spotted while out walking.
What's Happening Near You
Stay up-to-date with dragonflies in your area.
Click a region of the map to see events, sightings and other information below.
Latest News & Tweets
Help support our research and conservation work by shopping with us.
Need a hand identifying a dragonfly? Find it using our nifty help page.