Treasurer Needed to Join Our Team of Trustees
Could you help us to fill the Treasurer vancancy on our Trustee team? Please use the contact details in the post below to find out more or to apply for the role. Please help us spread the word by sharing this ad too.
ROLE: TREASURER (Voluntary)
Required as soon as possible
Interview dates to be confirmed.
The British Dragonfly Society (BDS) was founded in 1983 by a dedicated group of dragonfly enthusiasts and scientists. The Society has grown substantially since that time and the current BDS membership of over 1,700 is spread the length and breadth of the country, as well as into Europe and beyond.
We have three main aims:
- Carrying out and supporting research on dragonflies
- Undertaking and advising on conservation of dragonflies and their wetland habitats.
- Engaging and educating the public.
The objects of the BDS are:
(1) to promote and encourage the study and conservation of Odonata and their natural habitats, especially in the United Kingdom; and
(2) to raise public awareness of dragonflies and damselflies.
WHY WE NEED YOU
- To work closely with the Trustees, staff and volunteers to ensure the Society’s affairs, its financial viability and financial records and procedures are maintained to the highest standard.
- Ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- To contribute actively to the Board of Trustees of Trustees’ role in giving firm strategic direction to the Society, setting overall policy and evaluating performance against agreed targets and outcomes.
WHEN AND WHERE
- To have contact on a regular basis with the other Trustees, volunteers and staff (this may be face to face, email or telephone).
- To attend Trustees Meetings on a quarterly basis (additional meetings of the Board of Trustees may be called in exceptional circumstances).
- Full induction with Chairperson of The Board of Trustees
- Various training courses relevant to the role may be offered as appropriate to need.
- Travel Expenses.
WHAT YOU COULD GET OUT OF IT
- Improve your wildlife and conservation knowledge.
- Access free training and learn new skills.
- Meet new people.
The Board of Trustees
BDS Board of Trustees of Trustees are volunteers and come from a variety of backgrounds. What we do ask is that all Trustees have a commitment to the aims of the Society. The Board of Trustees is responsible for the control and management of the administration of the charity and for its strategic direction.
The BDS is a Charitable Incorporated Organisation (CIO) number 1168300.
Candidates will be required to complete a Trustee Declaration (fit and proper persons declaration) if appointed following interview.
Trustees are co-opted to the Board of Trustees for the first 12 months to ensure the appointment to the Board of Trustees is suitable for all concerned.
IF YOU ARE INTERESTED in becoming our
TREASURER (VOLUNTARY) for British Dragonfly Society (BDS)
For further details contact:
Telephone: 01235 768707
Role Description – Treasurer
- Maintain an overview of the Society’s affairs to ensure its financial viability and that proper financial records and procedures are maintained.
- Oversee approving and presenting budgets, accounts and financial statements to the Board of Trustees.
- Be a counter signature on external payments and on applications for funding (if applicable).
- Assure that the financial resources of the Society meet its present and future needs and ensure the financial sustainability of the Society.
- Ensure that the charity has an appropriate reserves policy and levels are maintained.
6.Ensure that appropriate accounting procedures and controls are in place.
- Liaise with paid staff and volunteers about financial matters (if required).
- Advise on the financial implications of the Society’s strategic plans.
- Ensure that the charity has an appropriate investment policy if appropriate.
- Ensure that there is no conflict between any investment held and the aims and objects of the charity.
- Monitor the Society’s investment activity ensuring its consistency with the Society’s policies and legal responsibilities.
- Ensure the Society’s compliance with finance, tax, pension and similar legislation.
- Ensure that the accounts are prepared and disclosed in the form required by funders and the relevant statutory bodies, e.g. The charity commission and/or the registrar of companies as required.
- If external scrutiny of accounts is required, ensure that the accounts are scrutinised in the manner required (independent examination or audit) and any recommendations are implemented.
- Keep the Board of Trustees informed about its financial duties and responsibilities.
- Contribute to the fundraising strategy of the Society.
- Make a formal presentation of the accounts at the annual general meeting and drawing attention to important points in a coherent and easily understandable way if required.
- Sit on appraisal, recruitment and disciplinary panels as required.
- Contribute actively to the Board of Trustees (in trustee role) giving firm strategic direction to the Society, to assist in setting overall policy, defining goals and setting targets and evaluating performance against agreed targets and outcomes.
Person specification – Treasurer
Experience and knowledge
- Understanding and acceptance of the legal duties, responsibilities and liabilities of trusteeship.
- Knowledge and experience of the way statutory and voluntary agencies are organised.
Particular skills and abilities
- Financial qualifications and/or experience of managing finance activities.
- The skills to analyse proposals and examine their financial consequences.
- Ability to think creatively.
- Ability to work effectively as a member of a team.
- Strategic vision.
- Experience of charity finance.
- Experience of pension schemes.
- An understanding of the importance of and the willingness to work within BDS aims principles and policies.
- Commitment to the Society.
- Willingness to devote the necessary time and effort.
- Good, independent judgement.