Bishops Wood Invertebrate Volunteer ID Day
- Tuesday, 8 February 2022
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Event Category:
- Meeting Other
- Event Website:
Want to have some time to look at specimens? Need access to some ID resources you don’t have? Need access to a microscope? Or simply looking for an opportunity to brush up on some fundamental entomological skills? This day is for you.
Identifying and recording invertebrates often involves the use of microscopes and identification books and keys, acquiring these can cost a lot of money. Our Invertebrate Volunteer ID Days are opportunities for people to come to our centres to use our lab facilities, microscopes, identification guides and other resources. They are free to attend (though booking is essential).
A range of people come on these days, they are perfect for beginners to practice their ID skills but those more experienced also come along to meet up, work on collections and make use of our resources. They’re a great way to meet other recorders and learn new skills. An FSC BioLinks project staff member will also be on-hand to provide support and guidance (please note: you’ll have access to our tea and coffee making facilities but please bring your own lunch and any other refreshments you may require!).
We encourage volunteers to bring their own specimens to work on. However, if you’re looking for volunteer projects to work on we also need help with the following tasks:
- Sorting and/or identifying mixed terrestrial and aquatic insect samples from our Field Recorder Day events
- Carding, pinning and setting specimens that have been identified by other volunteers
- Helping us produce our terrestrial invertebrate teaching collection
- Helping us produce our dragonfly and damselfly exuviae reference collection
What do I get?
- Access to our entomological library
- Access to a stereomicroscope or compound microscope
- A chance to meet fellow minded people from a range of different disciplines
- Practical entomological experience
- Support and guidance from a member of the FSC BioLinks project team
- Booking required.